Tuesday, October 23, 2012

5 Looks On The Giver



    Robotic- Jonas lives in a community where everything is decided for them, they live in a world of sameness. I felt that throughout the novel that even the writing felt robotic, this made it feel more realistic. As if almost, this community existed. The tone was set perfectly for the reader to feel it as well. 

 Eye Opener- The Giver is a book that many find controversial. At first, i didn't understand why this was so . When i was in 6th grade i read this book, it was required and my parents had allowed me too. As an adult now, and having to reread it, it has answered my question. It contains many big issues that when your a kid you might not understand and may be inappropriate at the time.   Yet, in my opinion i think it's a wonderful reading for any age that is mature enough.

 Powerful- The Giver is a very powerful reading, it contains many aspects of life that someone may face in life. Jonas, only eleven years of age, reminds me of someone that is young and has no idea what life is. Yet, being so young, he strives to change his life. This strive to me, is very powerful and very influential. 

 Interesting- No one can say The Giver isn't interesting(maybe someone who dislikes reading).
This book has a boring looking cover, something i wouldn't pick up and say WHOA. After you read the first two pages though, the rest is history. The reader is captured and becomes addicted. You don't want to put the book down, it's just so captivating. As the chapters go on, you want to find out what will happen to poor Jonas. As soon as you know it, your on the last chapter. It's simple amazing.

  Ambiguous- The ending of the giver really upset me, it left me wanting for more. What happens to Jonas ? Did he die? Did Gabriel die to? or Did they make it to elsewhere? Lowry leaves the end of the book as double ending. Many have their assumptions, I personally believe they made it to the next community. Simple because I enjoy happy ending. The ending is very controversial as well, what do you believe?

No comments:

Post a Comment