Saturday, October 6, 2012

The Giver - Chapter 13

In the end of chapter 12 in The Giver, the Giver tells Jonas he will help him with the colors.
"Close your eyes and be still, now. I'm going to give you a memory of a rainbow " (96). In chapter 13, Jonas is given plenty of colorful memories. From glimpses of a green lawn, orange pumpkins, dark and light skin colors and red blood. Jonas soon became angry at the thought of not being able to see colors all along. 
The Giver explained to him how it wouldn't be safe if the community was to have choices. "It's safer.""yes," Jonas agreed."Much safer" (99). As the chapter progresses Jonas learns the sound of rage and grief, that the Giver once had a spouse, and more about his future as a receiver. Jonas in the end of the chapter asks the Giver something that silences him. "Giver," he asked one afternoon...,"what causes you pain?" (107). The Giver then states he shall no longer wait, he needs to show Jonas more and takes him to the hill again.                                                  
In this chapter we learn more about Jonas and the Giver. The reader almost feels what Jonas is going through, I connected most when Jonas saw the Elephant memory. I know there's many that can relate more to this topic than me, because they've lost actual family members.I lost my pet dog six years ago, and it feels like only yesterday when i saw her get run over. It was the most painful sight i had ever experienced and i miss her so much. At first, i would blame myself for not being able to save her. I was angry at the driver and wanted to almost hurt him for going 30 mph on a 10. But, later on that day i felt like that day she saved my life. Maybe i was supposed to get hit, but instead she took the hit. I'm glad that, unlike Jonas' community, we can experience feelings. Although it hurts to have lost her, i tend to believe she did it for a reason and takes care of me till this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment