Monday, October 22, 2012

TED SPIKER




We know men obsess over our bodies. But have we heard them obsess over theirs? In Ted Spiker's, How Men Really Feel About Their Bodies, he breaks the silence and takes you where no woman has gone before.

Spiker states that Men, as well as women, have

insecurities about their bodies. He tells throughout how he struggled since a child with his body, and how it has effected him. He says, 
" Since that day, my fat has absorbed more darts than the back wall of a bar"(63). This statment is a very strong sentence in his introduction that leads into more situations he faces in his life with his body. He then says, " ....And i hate. I hate how clothes fit. I hate that friends say i use the "big butt defense" in basketball. I'm not the only man who wishes his body looked more like Micheal Jordan's and less like a vast of pudding" (64). This statement shows in depth Spiker's harsh view of his body, and makes the reader almost feel what he feels. All through his essay, he explains why many think men don't care or have the same feelings about their bodies as women do. Simply because, they are not allowed or atleast that's how society makes men think. It's astounding what i read in his essay, I know plenty of men in my life that are unhappy with their bodies, aswell as i am. Most of them, like Spiker explains, joke about their body issues. Therefore, i have never had a serious conversation with any of them about that issue. It's interesting and comforting to know I'm not the only one that looks in the mirror and wishes something would look different. But, instead i will enbrace what i love about myself, like my long balck hair or long eyelashes. This essay is very inspiring and motivating.



Contemporary Reader 10th Edition

2 comments:

  1. Beauty and brain is very rare, you're amazing. You should do my next essay assignment for me, ill pay you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you took the time to write about this, it is a problem that affects many, and yet many don't accept it..

    ReplyDelete